Skip to main content

What's Up Wednesday [August 2023]


It's Wednesday! Today I am linking up with Sheaffer and Shay to share a little bit of what's up in my life right now. 

What we're eating...


ALL the fresh summer produce! Iowa is famous for sweet corn and there are stands set up in the parking lots of area businesses. Our favorite stand told us that this would likely be his last week of selling, so you bet we'll be enjoying sweet corn a few times this week. Here's what else is on the menu for the week:

Sunday - BLTs and corn

Monday - Dustin, Sammy and I went to dinner at a local restaurant before Sammy's Back to School Night 

Tuesday - Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole (we love a breakfast casserole for dinner at our house!)

Wednesday - Apple Butter Ham Sliders and sweet potato fries 

Thursday - Grilled Pork Chops and sweet corn

Friday - Mandarin Chicken and vegetable stir fry (thank you, Trader Joe's)

What I'm reminiscing about...

June 

July

August

Awwww. I'm struggling to believe that it's already the end of August and we're about to enter September! This summer very much flew by since the arrival (on my first official day of summer!) of baby Jack. June was a blur of sleep deprivation and newborn bliss, July was defined by us getting into a groove and routine as a family of four, and August was truly just a joy. Even though this summer was different than others, it's been one of my very favorite summers to date. 

What I'm loving...

Is it too soon? I enjoyed my first pumpkin drink from Starbucks this week and it was DELIGHTFUL. Here's my order: Grande (in a venti cup + extra ice) Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew with sugar free vanilla. YUM. 

What we've been up to...

Besides the normal events of life, we've been preparing Sammy (emotionally and materially) to go to preschool. School supplies are bought and packed, and he is excited. He has been home with family since June 1st, and it's going to be a bit of an adjustment for him to head to preschool and be away from me. Hopefully the transition back to school will be a smooth one for him! How precious is this shirt we got for his first day of school outfit?!

What I'm dreading...

I am not dreading going back to work following maternity leave, but I AM dreading getting dressed and out the door in the mornings. It has been a summer of slow mornings, athletic wear and no make-up and it's been such a wonderful break. I'm not looking forward to having to get "ready" first thing in the morning! 

Our town was hit HARD by a hailstorm this May and our home had some damages. We've already had our roof replaced and are in the process of getting our siding and gutters replaced. We had to make a decision on siding last week and it will hopefully be installed this upcoming month. I'm dreading the noise and inevitable mess this will bring to my house - I prefer when things are as neat as a pin. :)

What I'm working on...

This week I've been working on my closet. I passed along my maternity clothing to another expecting mama and hung my normal clothes back up. I've picked up a few new tops and bottoms to make me excited about getting "dressed" and going to work each day, so those have been added to my closet as well. 


I've also been working on filling our deep freeze with some freezer meals to make me going back to work a bit easier. It's such a blessing to reach into the freezer and pull out a delicious meal! So far I've got tater tot casserole, tater tot breakfast casserole, French toast casserole and breakfast burritos made. I need to add some more to my line-up. 

What I'm excited about...

I am excited for the month of September to begin and all the excitement the "ber" (September, October, November, and December) months bring. Pumpkins, sweaters, and twinkle lights are in my future! 

What I'm watching and reading...

Does anyone else watch Gilmore Girls in the fall months? It's such a "fall" show to me and I've been watching an episode or two at night. One perk of having a police officer husband who works evenings is that you don't have to share the television with him. :) Dustin would be STRONGLY opposed to watching Gilmore Girls at night - haha! 

As far as reading, this week I finished the book The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. My word, it was PHENOMENAL. I try to read instead of scroll my phone during Jack's middle of the night feeding and I had a very hard time putting this book down once he finished nursing. It was thought provoking and made me so grateful to live in America during present day time. 

What I'm listening to...

At the moment, I'm listening to the feedback from the baby monitor and an episode of Bluey. IYKYK. 

What I'm wearing...

Currently I'm wearing a tank top and jean shorts: my uniform this summer. Like I said above, I ordered some new tops and bottoms to help get me excited about getting up and dressed each day. Loft has been having great sales and I've been eyeing this denim skirt for a few weeks. I think the last time I wore a long denim skirt was in the sixth grade - haha! I'm not sure how I feel about the trend yet, but I'll give it a try! I'm thinking I'll pair it with a pair of Nike tennis shoes and a teacher tee. 

What I'm looking forward to next month...

September will bring a few changes for my family: me starting back to work after 15 weeks off, Dustin starting his "vacation" to spend 3 weeks home with Jack, and Sammy starting preschool and childcare after 3 months off. While all of these changes are BIG, I am excited to find a new rhythm for our family. 

September will also bring the start of soccer league for Sammy and I cannot WAIT to see this little boy play. 


That's all for this month's What's Up Wednesday! See you in September. XX

Comments

  1. I'm not sure how I feel about the jean skirt trend either! I haven't bought any to try yet but I'm sure I will eventually. Hopefully the work on the house will go quickly and you don't have to deal with the noise and mess for too long. Wishing you all a great back to school/work time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirts seem to be very popular This year! I've noticed that many retailers aren't able to keep them in stock. Thank you for the well wishes, Joanne!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites [3-1-2024]

  It's Friday and I'm here sharing my favorites from the week. As usual, I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika . Here we go!  My very first favorite is that Jack is 9 months old today! I can't believe he's been "out" for as long as I was pregnant with him. 😊 He is the happiest little baby, and we just can't imagine life without him. I shared a little monthly update on the blog today as well.  Another favorite is that Sammy lost his second tooth over the weekend. He pulled it out himself! I told him that pretty soon he won't have any teeth left. 😉 An easy sheet meal dinner was perfect for our Wednesday night. I took some italian chicken sausage, sweet potato gnocchi, and green beans, plus a little olive oil and seasonings and roasted it up for about 20 minutes. Sammy loves chicken sausages, so a fuss-free dinner is always a win in my book.  We put out some St. Patrick's Day books over the weekend and have been enjoying reading them. I keep a

Friday Favorites [4-5-2024]

  Hello, Friday. It's always nice to see you. 😉 I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  to share some favorites from my week. Here we go!  My first favorites are these sweet Easter pictures. We had a fun weekend celebrating! I love any reason for my little boys to get dressed up and get a cute picture. 😉 Another favorite on April 1st was celebrating Jack's 10 month birthday! I can't believe in two months he will be one. I loved this picture showing off his top two teeth.  3 years ago, my family was at one of our favorite places...Disney World! We went to Florida over Easter in 2021 with my extended family and it was a fun little trip. This trip was rescheduled from March of 2020, and I love seeing all of the memories from our trip. Sammy looks SO LITTLE.  In this picture we were riding Dumbo. I remember that Sammy got off the ride and promptly asked to go again. Haha.  We made my  Easy Weeknight Tostadas  on Tuesday of this week and they were a hit! We loved this eas