Skip to main content

June Book Review

 

Book #1: "Meant to Be" by Emily Giffin


I was super excited to start the month of June with reading this book! This novel by Emily Giffin was released on May 31st and has all of the elements of the Emily Giffin books I love: romance, a little bit of steam, and an intriguing storyline from multiple perspectives. This book follows the romance of Cate and Joe. Joe comes from a very prominent family (think Kennedy family), and Cate was raised seeing pictures of Joe on magazine covers and has an interesting family dynamic. Everything seemed perfect in their relationship (so much so that I wondered how I was only 67% finished when the book) until a secret from Cate's past is unearthed and challenges her. Joe struggles with his identity as well, but is absolutely smitten with Cate, and determined to make their relationship succeed. This was an excellent book that was a little deeper than her novels typically go, but I really enjoyed it. It's very different from her novels "Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue." This book would be wonderful to read poolside or beachside this summer!

Book #2: "The Book of Lost Names" by Kristin Harmel


I really loved this book. It is another piece of World War II fiction, but much lighter than the novel "The Lilac Girls" that I read last night. It describes the journey of a young girl who accidentally discovers her artistic abilities and uses them to help refugees safely evacuate into Switzerland. It's set in a picturesque town in Paris and has some components of a love story and action. I stayed up late several nights reading it, because it truly was not predictable at all. I loved this one!

Book #3: "Thirty Chic Days" by Fiona Ferris 


I really love reading French lifestyle books because they are just very happy to me. They are generally very light and easy to read and make you feel inspired to go on a walk, purge a drawer, or make a salad. This book was divided into thirty chapters, which made it very easy to read a chapter each day. I'd generally read a chapter each morning during my quiet time after my workout. Each chapter held some ideas of how to become more "chic" in a particular area, such as entertaining, exercise, meal preparation, or self care. I really loved this book, and was super excited to discover this author. She has lots of similarly written books and I just downloaded several more to my Kindle. :) 

Book #4: "The Hotel Nantucket" by Elin Hilderbrand


I ended the month reading "The Hotel Nantucket" by Elin Hilderbrand. This was her newest novel released just this month, and it was another typical Elin Hilderbrand novel. It included all of the normal characteristics: set on Nantucket, a cute romance, and lots of summer-y references throughout. The book followed new hotel manager Lizbet, as she attempted to unlock "5 Keys," or a superior rating for a mysterious hotel critic. The story followed several characters who were all employed by the hotel. One character just really didn't make sense, or contribute much to the storyline. That character was...a ghost. This ghost had died in the hotel when it was set on fire decades ago. I think the ghost was there to help us follow the storyline of the other characters? I'm not entirely sure, but it didn't feel necessary. All in all, I did think this was a great summer read!

On to the next month...I can't hardly believe it is July already!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites [7-3-2026]

  It's Friday, and it's the 4th of July Eve! Sounds pretty good to me. 😉 I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  to share some favorites from the week.  I'm dipping my toe back into blog world because, well, I am missing documenting my kids' childhoods. It brings me such joy to go back and read through memories from years before documented in old posts, so I'm determined to hang out here a bit more consistently to share life.  This summer, I've got a seven (7?!) year old and a new 3 year old. Someone the other day was talking about what a difference a year makes from summer to summer and it is so true. For example, this year Jack and Sammy love to go play together. Last year, both boys required constant supervision. Last year Jack hated going to the pool, and this year he is a little fish! This is a BIG favorite for me! Last weekend Sammy participated in a "Run Hit Pitch" competition and won first place for hitting in his age division. He was so ...

Friday Favorites [6-14-2024]

  I hate to be the one to point it out...but how in the world is June almost halfway over?! I would like to hit the "slow down" button on summer, please. 😉 Like usual, I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  to share some favorites from our week. Here we go! You'll notice that many of my "favorites" are food related this week. One of the reasons I love summer is that the cooking is easy, and I can take some time making things I typically wouldn't have time for. Wednesday evening we grilled pork chops and I was hunting for a side dish. I found the ingredients for taco dip and we gobbled it right up. Taco dip is basically a salad, yes?  Jack (and big brother!) have been loving water play this summer. It has been extra warm this week, so it's been a great way to beat the heat.  We had burgers this week using my very favorite  recipe . This meal is probably one of Dustin's most loved meals! Ugh. I love watermelon. I ate SO MUCH of it during my preg...

Friday Favorites [10-4-2024]

Happy, HAPPY Friday!  I hate to even say it outloud, but Jack slept through the night two nights in a row this week. He's been getting so many teeth - all at the same time for about three weeks. This led to lots of broken nights of sleep for our boy. It is AMAZING how much better I feel getting a full night of sleep. Haha.  Needless to say, I'm feeling extra perky this Friday.  I'm linking up with Andrea  and  Erika  to share a few favorites from my week. 😊 Sammy's flag football team is the Chiefs, and so obviously his favorite dog supporter needed to get a matching outfit. Look at Sammy's red cheeks! We're ready for fall weather to arrive in full force over here. Haha.  This week was National Night Out in our town, and Dustin helped work it. I stopped by with the boys, and Jack was genuinely surprised to see so many people who looked like his daddy. He got so excited when he saw the first police car, but was disappointed his daddy wasn't inside. 😉 D...