Skip to main content

Strawberry Crumb Muffins


    We kicked off our very first day of summer with a trip to Center Grove Orchard to pick strawberries! We've never gone strawberry picking before and Sammy couldn't pick them fast enough. It went a little something like this: "one for Sammy's bucket, one for Sammy's tummy." 




We came home filthy, sticky, and hot. It was exactly how the start of summer should be! 

    Our house has a surplus of strawberries at the moment, so I decided to try making some strawberry crumb muffins to use some of them up. The strawberries become extra gooey when baked, and as you eat one it's almost as if you were eating a muffin slathered in strawberry jam. You don't necessarily taste the lemon extract; instead it adds a brightness to the muffins. The crumb topping makes it extra delicious and gives the muffins some texture. My family loved these muffins!

Strawberry Crumb Muffins

Preparation Time: 20 minutes    Servings: 14-16 muffins

Muffin Ingredients: 

1 stick of unsalted butter, softened

3/4 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp lemon extract

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 cups flour

1/2 cup milk (I used skim)

1/8 cup sour cream

1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries 

Crumb Topping Ingredients: 

6 tablespoons of melted butter

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup white sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon 

3/4 cup flour

1/2 cups old fashioned oats

Directions: 

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and place muffin tin liners in your muffin pan. 
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream your butter and sugar until fluffy.
  3. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Then mix in the vanilla and lemon extracts. 
  4. Add in baking powder, salt, and 1 cup of flour. Mix until just combined. 
  5. Add in milk and mix until just combined. 
  6. Then add your final cup of flour and mix until just combined. 
  7. Add in the sour cream and mix together by hand. Then mix in chopped strawberries by hand. 
  8. In a separate bowl, make your crumb topping by combining all ingredients together.
  9. Fill muffin tin liners until just over 1/2 way full. Then sprinkle some crumb topping over the top. 
  10. Bake muffins until they're golden brown around the edges and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. 
  11. Yum. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites [7-3-2026]

  It's Friday, and it's the 4th of July Eve! Sounds pretty good to me. 😉 I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  to share some favorites from the week.  I'm dipping my toe back into blog world because, well, I am missing documenting my kids' childhoods. It brings me such joy to go back and read through memories from years before documented in old posts, so I'm determined to hang out here a bit more consistently to share life.  This summer, I've got a seven (7?!) year old and a new 3 year old. Someone the other day was talking about what a difference a year makes from summer to summer and it is so true. For example, this year Jack and Sammy love to go play together. Last year, both boys required constant supervision. Last year Jack hated going to the pool, and this year he is a little fish! This is a BIG favorite for me! Last weekend Sammy participated in a "Run Hit Pitch" competition and won first place for hitting in his age division. He was so ...

Friday Favorites [6-14-2024]

  I hate to be the one to point it out...but how in the world is June almost halfway over?! I would like to hit the "slow down" button on summer, please. 😉 Like usual, I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  to share some favorites from our week. Here we go! You'll notice that many of my "favorites" are food related this week. One of the reasons I love summer is that the cooking is easy, and I can take some time making things I typically wouldn't have time for. Wednesday evening we grilled pork chops and I was hunting for a side dish. I found the ingredients for taco dip and we gobbled it right up. Taco dip is basically a salad, yes?  Jack (and big brother!) have been loving water play this summer. It has been extra warm this week, so it's been a great way to beat the heat.  We had burgers this week using my very favorite  recipe . This meal is probably one of Dustin's most loved meals! Ugh. I love watermelon. I ate SO MUCH of it during my preg...

Friday Favorites [10-4-2024]

Happy, HAPPY Friday!  I hate to even say it outloud, but Jack slept through the night two nights in a row this week. He's been getting so many teeth - all at the same time for about three weeks. This led to lots of broken nights of sleep for our boy. It is AMAZING how much better I feel getting a full night of sleep. Haha.  Needless to say, I'm feeling extra perky this Friday.  I'm linking up with Andrea  and  Erika  to share a few favorites from my week. 😊 Sammy's flag football team is the Chiefs, and so obviously his favorite dog supporter needed to get a matching outfit. Look at Sammy's red cheeks! We're ready for fall weather to arrive in full force over here. Haha.  This week was National Night Out in our town, and Dustin helped work it. I stopped by with the boys, and Jack was genuinely surprised to see so many people who looked like his daddy. He got so excited when he saw the first police car, but was disappointed his daddy wasn't inside. 😉 D...