Skip to main content

Nacho Potato Soup

One of my friends shared this recipe with me after bringing it to a staff potluck at our school building. It's a yummy, Tex-Mex inspired soup that's delicious when topped with sour cream, tortilla chips, shredded cheese and green onions. 

Nacho Potato Soup

Serves: 8    Cook Time: 4+ hours

Ingredients:

1 lb of cooked ground beef (I use 93% lean) 

1/2 of a white onion, diced 

1 small can of Rotel 

1 can of corn 

2.5 cups water 

2 cups milk (I use skim)

1 box scalloped potato mix

8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp chili powder

Directions: 

This is how I prepare the recipe so it cooks in the slow cooker during the day. Feel free to adjust if needed based on your needs. 

  1. Place your cooked ground beef, onion, rotel, corn, water, garlic/onion/chili powders, and the seasoning packet from the scalloped potatoes in your slow cooker. 
  2. Turn your slow cooker to low, and let simmer. I typically start it in the morning before work. 
  3. 4 hours before serving, mix the potatoes from the box of scalloped potatoes in well. Continue cooking on low. 
  4. About 1  hour before serving, mix in 8 oz of Velveeta cheese and 2 cups of skim milk. Cook, stirring frequently until cheese melts. 
  5. To serve, ladle into bowls and top sliced green onions, tortilla chips, sour cream and shredded cheese. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites [7-3-2026]

  It's Friday, and it's the 4th of July Eve! Sounds pretty good to me. 😉 I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  to share some favorites from the week.  I'm dipping my toe back into blog world because, well, I am missing documenting my kids' childhoods. It brings me such joy to go back and read through memories from years before documented in old posts, so I'm determined to hang out here a bit more consistently to share life.  This summer, I've got a seven (7?!) year old and a new 3 year old. Someone the other day was talking about what a difference a year makes from summer to summer and it is so true. For example, this year Jack and Sammy love to go play together. Last year, both boys required constant supervision. Last year Jack hated going to the pool, and this year he is a little fish! This is a BIG favorite for me! Last weekend Sammy participated in a "Run Hit Pitch" competition and won first place for hitting in his age division. He was so ...

Friday Favorites [6-14-2024]

  I hate to be the one to point it out...but how in the world is June almost halfway over?! I would like to hit the "slow down" button on summer, please. 😉 Like usual, I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  to share some favorites from our week. Here we go! You'll notice that many of my "favorites" are food related this week. One of the reasons I love summer is that the cooking is easy, and I can take some time making things I typically wouldn't have time for. Wednesday evening we grilled pork chops and I was hunting for a side dish. I found the ingredients for taco dip and we gobbled it right up. Taco dip is basically a salad, yes?  Jack (and big brother!) have been loving water play this summer. It has been extra warm this week, so it's been a great way to beat the heat.  We had burgers this week using my very favorite  recipe . This meal is probably one of Dustin's most loved meals! Ugh. I love watermelon. I ate SO MUCH of it during my preg...

Friday Favorites [10-4-2024]

Happy, HAPPY Friday!  I hate to even say it outloud, but Jack slept through the night two nights in a row this week. He's been getting so many teeth - all at the same time for about three weeks. This led to lots of broken nights of sleep for our boy. It is AMAZING how much better I feel getting a full night of sleep. Haha.  Needless to say, I'm feeling extra perky this Friday.  I'm linking up with Andrea  and  Erika  to share a few favorites from my week. 😊 Sammy's flag football team is the Chiefs, and so obviously his favorite dog supporter needed to get a matching outfit. Look at Sammy's red cheeks! We're ready for fall weather to arrive in full force over here. Haha.  This week was National Night Out in our town, and Dustin helped work it. I stopped by with the boys, and Jack was genuinely surprised to see so many people who looked like his daddy. He got so excited when he saw the first police car, but was disappointed his daddy wasn't inside. 😉 D...